I have a serious confession to make...I don't think I like Halloween. I know. Even I'm confused, because I love fall. I mean, LOVE. Like want to marry it love. Theres just something about black and orange and skeletons and the fact that I don't really like candy and that finding a Halloween costume is inevitably anxiety filled and I'm always left feeling inadequate next to the person in the full dinosaur suit who takes it way more seriously than me. And don't even get me started on food that looks like body parts. Nope. My ideal version of Halloween? My couch, a double feature of Hocus Pocus and Double, Double, Toil and Trouble, and a bottle of Merlot. None of that Nightmare Before Christmas stuff. I'm a wimp. I don't do scary and that movie scares the pants off me. (I even thought I wanted to listen to that one song - This is Halloween - and I got like 27 seconds in and had to turn it off *shiver*).
In that (not at all spooky) spirit, lets take a look at some of my favorite modern Autumn decor. I totally respect (and even maybe envy a little) the person who crafts a spider web the size of their house and a giant spider the size of a buick to go with it. I love seeing people go all out because what are the holidays without spirit? As for me and my delicate nerves though, I prefer my decor a little more subtle. If I put a skeleton climbing up my drain pipe - the only person who will end up terrified is me every time I catch a glimpse of it out the window and I can't live like that! And if the decor lasts from Halloween through Thanksgiving it's even better - decorating twice? Ain't nobody got time for that. As a bonus, at the end I'm sharing my fall bucket list, how many will you check off?
Successful Autumn decor is all about natural and cozy elements: pumpkins, apples, and gourds, cable knit blankets, fall leaves, antlers and fur, layers of textiles, warm browns and tans mixed with some dusty greens.
1. Fluffy, Cuddly Pillows - The fastest way to change up a look of a room is with throw pillows. The couch, the bed, side chairs. All the pillows. These three are from Target, West Elm, and Zazzle. I do love me some buffalo check in the fall, and that cable knit pillow could definitely carry you through the winter holidays too!
2. Plaid Tray - Target is seriously killing it with the plaid this fall. I want so much of what they have, including their entire collaboration with Adam Lippes. This tray could hold all the fixins for Hot Toddys on your bar cart or it could corral some fun decor on your coffee table - or even host a cozy breakfast in bed. I love trays.
3. Gold Antlers - Another decor piece that could carry you through Christmas. I love the gold on these from the Manor, but natural antlers work too. I found an unmounted pair at a resale shop - keep an eye out and you can find them from time to time. I love that antlers add a natural element while still being sculptural and abstract at the same time.
4. Plaid Mug - Target again. These mugs are great for some of those chilly mornings on the porch or hot cocoa around the fireplace or backyard bonfire. The tall shape is ideal for wrapping your cold little hands around and the glint of gold made them an immediate favorite for me. (I personally need more coffee mugs like I need a hole in the head, but if you're in the market...)
5. Velvet Pumpkins - I've been obsessed with these little babies since I saw them on The Manor's instagram account some time in September. They come in all sorts of gorgeous colors and are pumpkins that would actually last (who hasn't found a collapsed and decaying mini-pumpkin at the bottom of their Halloween decor box? Never again.) I think I need one in ever size and color! How fantastic are those real stems?
And if you just HAVE TO have a little more scary in your decor I think I could tolerate some of these:
So, are you more of an Autumn decor person or do you like to make your house a living nightmare...or do you fall somewhere in between? Hopefully this guide gets you decorated in time to still do all the best fall activities. As I promised heres my bucket list...which ones are you going to try?